Monday, November 12, 2012

Finally Back in the Groove…


Even though it’s Monday I finally feel like I am back in the groove.  The past two weeks had me spinning and I could not seem to focus on anything long enough to its completion, except reading. 

It started with Hurricane Sandy.  I was thoroughly prepared to evacuate if it came to that, and prepared items such as candles, lanterns, batteries, and extra blankets in case I lost power.  I also pulled the air conditioner out of my bedroom window, which was a feat I never should have attempted on my own.  I got it out though, but my wrist ached for a few days afterward and caused my sciatica to kick in for about a week as well.  Needless to say, I was not a happy camper for a week or so and within that time I must have consumed about 20 aspirin.  Anyway, Sandy roared in with a cacophony that sounded like a freight train was speeding up the road and winds that rattled the windows and shook the house.  However, my power stayed steady and other than laying down a carpet of leaves and small branches, there was no real damage.  A few of my neighbors down the road who live closer to the lake’s shore and don’t have the advantage of cliff between their homes and the lake had to evacuate to shelters.  A few lost power, and had to contend with a couple of fallen trees, but nothing near the catastrophe of NYC and New Jersey.  Considering the damage to these areas and others, I feel the Creator watched over us throughout the storm!

The time change was the next event that through me off the rails.  It doesn't matter whether we are springing forward of falling back, the time change always messes with my head even though it is for just an hour either way.  I wish they would do away with this foolishness and keep it one way or the other, although I would prefer the spring forward time that gives us more daylight and longer days.

I have to have my car inspected this month, so last Monday I took it to the neighborhood to have it checked out for needed repairs.  The horn doesn't work, which I would never know because I never use it, and the back windshield wiper needs replacing (another item I never use).  The big expense is tires of which I need all four replaced.  I could get by with replacing the two front tires, but better safe than sorry.  Also, I figure if I don’t replace all four now I will end up replacing the other two next year, so it’s better to get them all done now when I have some extra money to get it done.  I live on a very modest budget as it is, but you never know what another year will bring or take away.

Tuesday brought the elections.  I am not one to discuss politics with anyone except for a few close friends.  Nor do I openly state my opinions in any public forum.  Other’s opinions do not influence me within my decision process, but I do spend quite a bit of time before the elections contemplating my vote.  In the end, I vote my conscience and hope and pray for the best.  All I will say here is that I am satisfied with the outcome.

By last Thursday, all the stress of the past two weeks brought a visitation from a massive migraine headache.  I thought that it was gone Friday morning, but it came back with a vengeance by the afternoon.  I was at Mom’s when it arrived, but I managed to accomplish all the tasks and errands she needed me to complete. We also had some time to attend a gathering in the main dining room where we had coffee served with pumpkin cake and ice cream (definitely a sugar overload for all partaking).  During this outing, I had a chance to listen to the elder’s conversations as they talked about their current and past experiences, which is something I always find interesting.

Friday evening I had one more ‘to do’ left on my list.  I received a notice for jury duty several weeks earlier and my instructions were to call after 5:30 for further instructions concerning the task.  Luckily, the recording told me that I did not have to do anything except call back for further instructions the following Tuesday.  Of course, with caring for Mom, I will not be able to accommodate the request, but it is still something that weighs heavy on my mind until its closure.

This past weekend was a time to unwind.  I kept busy with designing a new pattern for my “Ode to the Quilt” series and I wrote a poem for Veteran’s Day that I posted yesterday on this blog.  I caught up on the television series that I follow which includes “The Vampire Diaries,” “Supernatural,” and “Grey’s Anatomy.”  I also watched “The King’s Speech” not for the first time.  Other than that, I continued reading “11/22/63” by Stephen King.  It was a very relaxing weekend.

This brings me back to Monday where I feel that a weight has lifted from my shoulders.  I am excited with the prospects of writing and creating over the coming weeks.  My friends and family are sure to receive handmade gifts and an abundance of baked goods as Christmas presents from me this year.  

 Now with all that said, I am off to get started on the many tasks ahead…

Thanks for stopping by… ~Yvonne~

No comments: