Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Well, it’s Tuesday...


Well, it’s Tuesday.  Two days until Thanksgiving and then Christmas is just around the corner. 

Why is it that when you really have to do something you would much rather do something else? I have loads to do for the coming holidays and absolutely no ambition to get started.  I don’t have much to buy as far as gifts because I usually make gifts, and this year, I have plenty of gifts to make.  I think that once I decorate I will get into the holiday spirit.

For the past week or so, I have accomplished quite a lot, mostly reading and writing.  If you are a regular reader of my blog, you will know that I was on a Stephen King kick there for a couple of weeks. Of course, this man does not write short novels so reading took up much of my time.  I read The Stand, a book that I read previously; and I read 11/22/63. I wrote blogs about each of them. You can find the blogs under the list titled My Reviews.  I read The Help by Susanne Stockette in print format a month or so ago and I saw the movie sometime within the last two weeks. Then last week I found the book in audio format at the library and I consumed that over the last weekend.  I found that the audio version was the best of the three.  Also, I like audio because I can get other things done while consuming a book.  Currently, I am reading The Magicians by Lev Grossman and I am enjoying it immensely. It reminds me of Harry Potter but on an adult scale.  The language (I refer here to cursing) is adult and the interaction of the characters is more adult as well.  So far the story is not as adventurous as HP but it is interesting and at times it is otherworldly scary. I really can’t judge overall as I am just getting started. 

Speaking of Harry Potter, I placed a hold on the audio version of J. K. Rowling’s newest release A Casual Vacancy.  I am #23 on the list so might take a few weeks before my number comes up.  The Harry Potter  series is so imaginative; I am interested to see what and how Rowling writes outside of the HP universe. I will certainly let you know.

As I mentioned earlier, writing takes much of my time lately, too.  I wrote several scenes, though as yet, I am not sure of their placement in my story. It will come to me though.  I just hope I don’t have to edit too much out to get them all in.  Ah well, the completion is a long way off and I will worry about the editing when the time comes. Poetry isn’t coming to me so easily lately. I think I have to get involved with a class or workshop to start the creative juices flowing again. That is one more add for my to-do list.


Twitter notifications now pack my email inbox to the brim.  This occurred over the past couple of days.  I usually try to respond to each new follower, mention, and RT-er individually and on a daily basis, but I let it slide for a couple of days and now my inbox is up to close to 100 and the prospect of acknowledging each one is daunting. I can see this project taking up an entire day. 

Well, I think I have told you all I can for now.  I am spending Thanksgiving at Mom’s place.  They put on a nice buffet for the residents and I enjoy the people.  It is usually an early day, so I have time to visit elsewhere later.  I probably will not blog again until the weekend.

 I wish you all a wonderful and safe holiday.

Thanks for stopping by… ~Yvonne~




5 comments:

Diana said...

Hi Yvonne,
Dropped into your blog, totally agree about Christmas and enjoyed your comments.

I tackle my Twitter obligations by making a list of everyone who is following me. I add to it every day for around three days and then have a session where I thank everyone in batches to make up to 140 characters. I will be including your name this morning as I have nine new followers. This is the only way I can keep up to date :)

While I have your "attention" my second novel, The Celibate Mouse, will be free on Amazon kindle 23-26 November. It is an Australian crime novel, Aussie spelling (Queen's English lol) and there is a glossary of terms in the back. This is because I was too stupid to put it in the front where it belongs! The next one will be better :)

Blessings

Diana (Hockley) Cadfael18 on Twitter.

Unknown said...

Hi Diana,

Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting. I will certainly check out your book - thank you for letting me know about it.

Blessings to you, too...

~Yvonne~

Unknown said...

Yvonne,

I had a nice look around your blog. I cannot wait to hear your thoughts on 'The Casual Vacancy'. I read it and have made all my notes but will wait for the hoopla to all die down. Will come and visit again soon.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for visiting.

I cannot wait to read it. It's very popular among the library crowds here, hence the long wait on the hold. We will have to compare notes once I read it.

vb holmes said...

Enjoyed visiting your blog. Thanks for following me--am following you.