Monday, December 03, 2012

Creating for Christmas


If you are a regular reader of my blog, you will know that I am a big believer of recycling the old to make the new.  This is true of gifts for others as well.  I rarely, if ever run around town buying this or that gift or struggle within the madness of crowds and traffic to buy into the media’s materialistic version of the spirit of giving.  If I do buy new, it is something unique from a local artisan.

Friends and family can usually expect a recycled book or two as a gift from me, no matter what the gift-giving occasion. The books are always used editions that I find at local used bookstores or library book sales. 

However for the most part, my gifts are hand-made or home-baked.  Hand-made gifts usually come in the form of recycled and refurbished items from second-hand stores or garage sales that I purchased earlier in the year. For instance, this year I am refurbishing and decorating the wood frame of a mirror, a wood jewelry box and a wood tray. I also have plans for a couple of quilted wall hangings made from scrap fabrics from used clothing that are far beyond repair.

Over the next few weeks, my house will look like a disaster area with paint and bits of string, fabric, beads, and paper scattered everywhere.  During the last week leading up to the big day, the kitchen will have the addition of a light covering of flour, and powdered sugar to look like there was a light snowfall. The fragrant smell of sweet goodies will permeate the house as I bake and package the cookies and small breads for gifts.

Well, I am off to paint, sew, cut, and paste. Hope you all have a great week!

Thanks for stopping by… ~Yvonne~


2 comments:

Denise Moncrief said...

Sounds like lots of fun, Yvonne! And sounds like your gift-giving reflects the real spirit of Christmas.
Merry Christmas and happy crafting!

Megan said...

such a wonderful idea for gifts :) very personal, not so general like most gifts. Happy upcoming holidays to you :)

Newest GFC follower :)

Megan @ Megz Madd Readz and Writing One Word at a Time