Saturday, October 27, 2012

Waiting for the Storm


Well, Hurricane Sandy is predicted to hit my neck of the woods within the next few hours.  Currently, the sky is a dark grey, and the wind is light causing the leaves to gently dance in the light breeze.  The birds are quiet, I haven’t heard as much as a peep this morning, and the squirrels are not out playing their jungle gum antics through the trees.  All of nature seems quiet waiting for the impending storm. 

I am preparing as well.  My hurricane lamps are full of oil and I have washed their shining glass chimneys.  I have filled some large pitchers with water and set them in the refrigerator.  Extra canned goods and prepared foods stock my cupboard shelves.  I have charcoal for the grill in case I have to cook outside; though I don’t foresee this happening I also checked the flashlights and the radio for batteries.  I located my first aid kit and took inventory of its contents so that I know what I have in case of any first aid emergency that might occur.  I pulled the quilts out of the cedar chest. I have extra just in case my neighbors find they are in need anything.  During the threat of storms such as these, I often wish I had a fireplace or a wood stove, or even a generator.  I have heaters, but I use them with much caution.

I may not need these things, however I feel better when I prepare.  After the ice storm in 1991, I was without electricity for 14 days.  I found that I wrote more with a pen and paper than usual during those two weeks and drew a lot more, too.  Excessive creativity is the advantage of not having electronics to entertain.  It was like an extended in-house camping adventure. 

It’s funny (not ha-ha funny, but peculiar) how easily one can get used to doing without.  Once you have to make due with less, you begin to realize how much you really have.
 
Thanks for stopping by. ~Yvonne~

No comments: