Monday, August 27, 2012

Creative Community

"Although I am a loner in daily life, my consciousness of belonging to the invisible community of those who strive for truth, beauty, and justice has preserved me from feeling isolated."  
 ~Albert Einstein~ "My Credo" speech Autumn 1932
 
I came across this quote last week and I was struck by the relevance of its message as it relates to my own life, as a creative and as a loner. I wondered, how much more less isolated Mr. Einstein would have felt if he had access to the internet during his lifetime. I wondered, too, if he'd had the advantage of conversing with like minds, how much more could he have discovered. I also thought of Vincent Van Gogh. Would Van Gogh have died a poor unrecognized artist if he had had a community of like minds with whom he could share his work and converse? Might he not have taken his own life, and instead, continued to create more beauty in the world through his paintings?
 
As a creative person, who did not her entire life, have the advantage of the internet, I feel blessed to now have the ability to share my poetry, thoughts, ideas, and experiences with the world. I, too am a loner and remember a feeling of isolation as a writer without a community. I did not always have the advantage of having access to a community with whom I could not only share my work, but also receive understanding that my writing was not merely a hobby, but a need for self-expression. As well, within this community, I find an audience that encourages me to continue moving forward with my creativity. 
 
So, for those of you my fellow creatives, whether writers, artists, musicians, photographers, or whatever your calling, take advantage of what our world now has to offer. Share your work with one another, and with the world. Most of all support and encourage one another to continue moving forward. 
 
Thank you for reading. ~Yvonne~ 



No comments: