Thursday, August 16, 2012

Refinish, Refurbish, Re-invent

Well, today I thought I would tell you all a little bit about the furniture I salvage.  I have always had an attraction to old furniture and I hate to see anything go to waste. Also, in art, I like mosaics and geometric design - either in precise or abstract form.  I often experimented with adding design to wood but I never could get it just right the way I wanted it.

Then, last year, while browsing the art and craft section in the library, I came across a book called, Perfect Paper Mosaics, by Susan Seymore. This book was the answer to my quest. After reading Ms. Seymore's book all sorts of ideas came to life. I have expanded on some of the applications to applying paper for design to include the quilt series I am working on. In creating the quilt designs I combine medias such as paint and colored pencil, along with cut paterned paper (or patterned cloth fused to paper) which I then attach to a paper or canvas base. But the quilt designs were only beginning of the paper mosaic adventure.

Ms. Seymore's focus in her book is basically referenced to the application of paper design on wood including furniture. I had two small stacking side tables that I rarely used and decided to experiment with these first. The tables were in rough condition with the tops and legs marred and scratched, so the first step was to sand them until they were as smooth as possible. After sanding, there were still some scratches and gouges, so I filled them with wood putty and then sanded the surfaces smooth once more. I decided to sponge paint the legs and sides using three different colors of purple on the first table and fall colors on the other table. The tops of the tables I painted in the darkest base color--
purple and brown--respectively.

I then chose coordinating clolors and patterns of paper from a couple of books of scrapbook papers. Some of the papers were too thin to use on their own so I had to laminate them using craft glue to water color paper. Now I was ready to cut the papers into small pieces and glue them to the table tops. I decided, once the table was covered, to layer smaller cuts of paper over the base design. See photos below...









The next table I rescued from a church rummage sale. It cost me all of $3.00. This table, too, was in rough shape. It went through the same process of sanding, filling and sanding. The legs of this table were loose, as well, so I had to get those attached propersly. I used the same process with sponge paint on the legs and sides, however, the paper I ut in curved lines as opposed to the straight lines on the previous two tables. I added the flower design after the the top was conpletely covered.






So, that is basically wht I am doing to refinish, refurbish, and re-invent old furniture. I am currently working on adding mosaic two end tables, and I have a set of old wooden chairs that I am giving new life with a sponge paint design. I will post these at a later time.

Well, Thank you for stopping by. ~ Yvonne ~


1 comment:

H. M. Schuldt said...

Hi Yvonne, your eye for design is marvelous. Come visit anytime at my blog. heathermarieschuldt.blogspot.com