Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Buried in Books

I visited the library this afternoon, in fact, I just got home about ten minutes ago. I picked up the hardbound edition of "The Help" by Kathryn Sockett. I have already read half of the first chapter and I can tell that it is going to be difficult to put down. I, also, picked up  "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah E. Harkness in unabridged audio format. I saw this book listed some time ago, and wrote it down on a piece of paper to add to my 'need to read' list. Of course, I misplaced the piece of paper and forgot all about the book until I saw it on the shelf today. I am excited to start reading this book, too, and will begin this evening before I go to sleep. I will, no doubt, listen to the first CD and then start a second and fall asleep while it is playing. I do that quite a bit - fall asleep to the sound of someone speaking the words of a story. My favorites to sleep to include any of the "Harry Potter" series. Along with these two new books, I am currently reading  "The Poet's Companion: A Guide to the Pleasures of Writing Poetry" by Kim Addonizio and Dorianne Laux. I have read this book before and I am reading a chapter a day. I find that books of this sort both instructional and inspirational, yet not quite the same as reading a textbook.

 I haven't read three books at a time since I was in college, but I find that I am excited by the notion. When I was young, in grade school and high school, I consumed books in this manner. At that time, of course, I had more time to read. Books were, and are still  to some degree, my companions and teachers. I believe that I learned more from books than I learned from formal any schooling. In reference to this thought, I often remember my grandfather who had to leave his formal education behind at the age of thirteen, yet continued to read everything he could get his hands on. He later became an elected district judge and was a pillar of his community. It boggles my mind to to think how far he (or I for that matter) would have gone if he had access to the Internet. All I can say is "Wow."

Well, I think I am done with this little ramble for the day. Keep reading, keep writing, keep in tune with your Creative Spirit whatever it may be...

Thanks for reading. ~Yvonne~

1 comment:

Denise Moncrief said...

Audio books at night. Hum...so I guess you redo the parts you missed? That sounds like a great way to read non-fiction. I'll have to try that.

I've got three paperbacks on my nightstand and three ebooks on my Nook all waiting for my attention. Right now, I only read about 15-30 minutes a day. When I was in high school I devoured books. Read for hours at a time. Sigh.