Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Writing on Writing – Entry 005


Blogging

I wanted to write a little bit about blogging.  It took me some time to start a blog.  For years, my inner critic profusely scorned me with remarks that prevented me from sharing my work with anyone—let alone the entire world.  However, as I began writing with the intention of completing a full-fledged book, I felt that it was important that I share my endeavor with others outside of my small circle of friends.

At first, I was not sure what I would post in my blogs besides my  poetry. Then I thought, “Well why not include some essays concerning your journey in writing your book.”  This followed with some ideas about blurbs that would to give my readers some insight into my life.  Then, why not share some of my art.  I began posting under several headings and soon found something to post at least every other day.

Blogging seems to help me as a creative person in several ways.  

1.  I find that a blog is more or less an extension of journal writing.  .  I still, and always will, manually write using pen or paper in a journal.  Yet, there are days when I do not have the time to journal and so blogging might take its place.  However, most of my journaling consists of free writing in which random thoughts and ideas travel from my brain onto the paper, and it is from here that I find gems for poetry, essays, and scenes for my stories.

2.  After writing a blog, I am compelled to continue writing.  Writing a blog is a way to grease the wheel to and get down seriously to the business of writing my story.

3.  Unlike writing in my journal, when I write a blog I am very conscious of grammar, spelling, punctuation, and sentence structure.  As a proofreader/editor, these, I believe, are the basics to any writing that I intend to publicly present.  Therefore, for me, writing a blog is an exercise in the practice of writing well.

4.  Writing, like any creative endeavor, is a part of yourself that you are presenting to the world.  Once you go public with your art, you are attempting, in a sense, to sell yourself.  This is something that I find daunting.  I am, by nature, a private person, and a loner.  It’s not that I am unsociable, however, I prefer to keep to myself as I find there are very few people in what I refer to as the “real world” who know and understand me.  Writing a blog gives me a chance to share who I am with others and maybe more important, it gives me a chance to connect with other creative people of like minds.  It is good to know that I am not alone, and is a way to introduce myself to and become a part of a creative community.

In addition to the above, I think that consistency in posting is important, particularly if you have followers.  Whether you choose to post once a week, or once a month or every day post it is important that you post consistently within those parameters.  Your followers are, in a way, your fans.  They follow because they are interested in what you have to say, so don’t leave them hanging or they may lose interest.  Also, connect and follow other bloggers. Read, leave comments, and promote their blogs whenever time permits; and don’t fear to ask them to do the same for you.

In closing, I would like to state my opinion that I believe whatever your creative endeavor, be it writer, musician, photographer or any other artist, if you have any intention to go public with your craft, start by blogging.  It is a satisfying and rewarding to have others, even a handful follow and appreciate your work, and I am sure it will prepare you down the road as journey down the creative path.

Thanks for stopping by. ~Yvonne~

3 comments:

Debbie Young said...

That's interesting, Yvonne - I too love blogging but have found that since I started a couple of years ago, it has displaced my pen-on-paper journal habit of a lifetime. And it has the advantage that when I look back at it, I can actually read what I've written - so frustrating to be unable to read my own handwriting sometimes! But I agree with you - blogging is on the critical path to so many different things, and I don't want to stop!

Unknown said...

I know that frustration, too. Also it is hard to find something in my journal that I would really like to expand, then I can't remember when I wrote it. I don't think blogging will ever cpmpletely take the place of my journal. Keep on writing - right there with you, too!

Anonymous said...

I wrote a blog post very similar, entitled "Writing about writing, but not writing" a few months back and totally agree.