Saturday, September 01, 2012

No Plans, But Plenty to Do

I don't have any plans this weekend, but my 'to do' list is overflowing. My focus on writing for the past couple of weeks has deterred me from my other creative projects, and now they are crying out for attention. As well, my studio is in complete disarray. So, I am writing this blog in an effort to gather my thoughts and put my tasks in som semblance of order.

The first task is to clean and organize the studio. It always amazes me that when I am working on a project everything seems to end up out of the cupboards and onto the workstation even if I don’t use it. Everything meaning paint, paper, tools, pencils, sand paper, rulers all spread out in a menagerie. As I look at the mess now, I wonder what I was thinking when I pulled all these things out as I have only used a few items for the project at hand.

As an excuse for the studio’s disorder, I do have three projects going on all at once. However, this is not my usual way. My second task is to choose a one project to complete this week and line the others up accordingly. Usually I finish one project before beginning another, but as I worked on one, another came to mind, and then another. Now I have a table waiting with its paint design half finished, a quilt design waiting for paper, and a chair in need of sanding. I’ve decided to approach each of these projects and complete one before starting another. This is my usual plan of attack. I rarely approach a new project before finishing the current one at hand.  I think I was too excited about all I had waiting in the wings and my ideas went into overdrive.  I can only surmise that my mind was in as much turmoil as my studio is now.
 
The third task on the ‘to do’ list focuses on writing. I had a great poem in the works the other day when my computer froze and I lost it. Of course, this was my fault for not saving while writing. I have jotted down all I can remember but I haven’t yet been able to get the same feel from it as I had before. Yet, who knows, when I finally finish it might turn out better than the original. I also completed a couple of stories this week that I want to get on a timeline and maybe flesh out another story, but that might have to wait until the coming week as I still have some research to sort through and organize.

So, while I have no plans I have plenty to do. Now it’s just a matter of moving away from my computer and begin the tasks at hand.

I wish you all a safe and wonderful weekend. Thank you for stopping by. ~Yvonne



5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm right there with you! Because I've been so involved with my writing, I look around and think, who set off a bomb?? I once read a quote by an author I follow and he said, "When I'm writing, everything else goes out the window, including my hygiene." I must admit, I'm meticulous about hygiene so that isn't an issue for me, however, I finally understand what his quote means. I'm a compulsive neat freak so the lack of attention to my house is driving me batty. Good luck!!

Unknown said...

Yes, I am a bit OCD when it comes to my house, too. If my bedroom isn't neat, I start having very weird, and sometimes bad, dreams.

Denise Moncrief said...

Starting one project before finishing another...Yep, that sounds very, very familiar. I do that with stories. Right now, I have three or four, maybe five stories started that I need to finish. I'm concentrating on only one right now because it's starting to flow from my fingertips.

I'm sorry about the poem. I've lost stories that way. The second version is never the same is it?

Aris Whittier said...

It’s a huge nuisance but seriously I can’t write unless my house is clean…it’s a total bummer. Good luck getting your projects finished.

B. J. Robinson said...

I tend to do that with my writing and then shove all on a back burner and work on one until completion. Happy Labor Day! BJ